What is Continuing Professional Development (CPD)?
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is a process of lifelong learning that has helped, you as an engineer improve and brush your skills and knowledge. It is highly recommended that engineers to stay up-to-date with the latest developments/research in their field, as well as, learn new skills to help them in their careers.
CPD can be moderated from different activities, some of them including:
- Attending conferences and workshops
- Joining online courses
- Reading professional journals, articles and research papers
- Writing technical papers
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Volunteering with engineering organizations
Understanding the Essence of CPD:
CPD is not just a list of some activities you have to check mark. It is a journey of self-improvement and continuous learning. Engineers can broaden their knowledge, enhance specialized skills, and advance their engineering careers through CPD. CPD also helps engineers build professional networks and open new doors of opportunity.
The amount of CPD that is required for engineers varies depending on their level of experience and the type of engineering they practice. However, EA(Engineers Australia) recommends to all engineers that they complete at least 150 hours of CPD every three years.
CPD is an important investment for engineers. It helps them to stay ahead of the competition, improve their job prospects, and make a more valuable contribution to their profession.
Here are some of the benefits of CPD:
- Helps to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in your field
- Improve your skills and knowledge
- Advance your career
- Network with other professionals/engineers
- Make a more valuable contribution to your profession
If you are an engineer, We encourage you think that a CPD is an investment that will pay off in the long run.
Here are some tips for getting the most out of CPD:
- Choose activities that are relevant to your career goals
- Set realistic goals and track your progress
- Find a mentor or join a learning community
- Make time for CPD even when you are busy
- Celebrate your successes! For prolonged motivation.